A Justice of the Peace (JP) acts as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes.
When contacting a JP, please note JPs are volunteers who provide their services to the community free of charge. While JPs make themselves available as much as possible, it should be remembered that they have the same type of work and personal commitments as any other person. As such, you will need to discuss a mutually acceptable time and place for an appointment.
What a JP can witness?
A JP can:
- certify a true copy of an original document
- certify a person’s identity
- witness an affidavit for use in court
- witness a statutory declaration
- witness the signing of a document